Thursday, October 9, 2008

"Attention, Child Protective Services. . ."

Okay, so I am completely LAME.  I am so far behind in blogland, there is so much to say I hardly know where to start.  But before Ade calls Child Protective Services I better share a very significant event in his life. . .the loss of his first tooth.  You would think that my first borns' loss of his first tooth would warrant immediate documentation but, alas, see above (the LAME part).  This even happened July 22nd, 2008, hey, at least I am still in the same year.

So here is Aiden and Quinn in the first attempt.  Our great friends from Twin, the McNeley's told us they used a kleenex to get some "traction" when pulling the girls' teeth out.  So Quinn pulled out the trusty kleenex--

To no avail.
All this pulling, tugging, wiggling was ridiculously traumatic.  Aiden was freaked, Quinn was frustrated and Ash was praying his teeth never get loose.  I was simply taking photos, videos, and giggling.  20 minutes later I was thinking this was taking way longer than necessary and I thought to myself, "what would Norm do?"  My dad was a great tooth puller--quick, easy, done!  Well, Norm used a little mini-plier thing.  I did not have one of these "gizmos" but I am a educated person in the "health care field" so I've got to come up with something.  Besides watching this MBA dude and a freaked out 6 year old was getting painful.  AhhhhHA. I had just the tool. . .curved hemostats and thanks to Tana I knew exactly where they were!

So I pulled them out and when Aiden got a glimpse of the tool he, 100%, WIGGED!!!  He tried to run away as Quinn was restraining him.  You, seriously woulda thought we were ripping his eyelashes out one by one.  As he is trying to escape Quinn's grasp like a little greasy pig trying to escape the bacon maker's hands, Quinn was getting aggroed!!!  So I intervened again. . .

Me, "EVERYONE RELAX!!!!"  (because now Asher is bawling his eyes out thinking  his big bro was going to meet a certain death).

Ash, Ade, "sniff, sniff, stifled inhale. . ."

Quinn, breathing in and out--nice and slow.

Me again, "Ade, just take a look at these."  He held them, inspected them, and decided they weren't a mid evil torture device.  

After some calming and distracting questions. . ."what do you think the tooth fairy pays for  a first tooth?"  BOOM-- it was out.  The look on Ade's face was priceless. . .he was shocked, waiting for the pain but it did not come.  He was starring at his tooth in my hand--stunned that it was out of his mouth and he was not dead.

So here he is, don't ya love the look of pure delight on his face.  If this is not evidence for CPS, I'm not sure what is.



The gap. . .


Notice the hemostats. . .that was a thing of beauty


And here are the bros. . I hope they are ALWAYS there for each other at times of trial.   Notice the glassy-I've-been-bawling-scared-for-my-brother-look in Asher's eyes.


Oh, by the way, the tooth fairy left 2 bucks.  I tired to tell Ade that the person who pulls it out gets a cut. . .he didn't go for it.  Nice try, mom.

8 comments:

Jill said...

Ah toothfairy land. Glad that our toothfairy and yours are at least in the same ballpark! (Ours leaves a buck for any regular teeth, but has left two for the all important front teeth, both of which are now missing.) Thankfully Parker doesn't look quite as much like a hillbilly now. I'm just dreading those ackward years where their teeth look super giant for their face.

He's still a handsome devil. And good thinking with the tool. Kleenex has done the trick for us on each of the 5 we've now pulled!

Good job to Ade for being so super brave. And good job to Asher for being so super supportive!

Alysia Cook said...

I'm gonna have to send you the picture of Brad having his first tooth pulled out with pliers. I was laughing all through the reading of this post, although I did feel some sympathy for Aiden because he was so freaked. Just think, only like 20 more teeth to go.

Melissa said...

I wish you would post more....you are my comic relief on the days I read your blog. You should write a book of your "Mommy moments!" Love ya!

Tana said...

First of all, I couldn't help but have a moment of pride that you knew where your hemostat was. Secondly (is that a word?) I love the sweaty palms when Ade holds out his hand to show the tooth. Grace went through a similar traumatic experience with her first tooth a year ago, so traumatic that it a)didn't come out b) the tooth she just lost was hanging, dangling for like a week because whe wouldn't let anyone touch it, until Matt finally got it out. i'm glad you were more successful on try number uno than we were. I hope you are putting money aside for your childrens' therapist visits in the future. I know I am. I hope you put that special tool right back in it's special spot. love ya, T

Highlights said...

I read this awhile ago and failed to post my comment. I do love your writing Christa--you totally crack me up. I'm also proud of you for backblogging...put some more good stuff up soon, like the picture of you at girls night. :)

Kim Rose said...

Hey Christa!
I was blog surfing and just found yours. YEAH!
LOVE the post on the fair. Nice pics! Thanks for making me laugh at the muffin comment. That is why I stay a way from the fair as much as possible. Odd people crawl out of the wood work!

These are the Days. . . said...

I was updating my blog (3rd time this year) and thought I would check out a few to see what people put on these things. You are hilarious.

Andrea said...

I read this post a long time ago but last night as we were chasing Kylee around the house trying to pull out her very loose tooth I thought of you and this post. Even though this was Kylee's 3rd tooth she has lost she was scared to death (thanks to her older brother telling her the top teeth hurt worse to pull then the bottom) it was such an ordeal and the tears...the tooth was barely attached but it took over an hour before she would let us get near her! And I thought potty training was bad!! :)