Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Moments a mom lives for. . .

This is one of those lump-in-your-throat-wish-you-could-freeze-time moments.  So during some down time in the "business" of selling refreshments  from the front yard the boys decided that "battling" with their Pokeman cards was a little more entertaining.  I love it when the boys do this.  It is the perfect combination of playing, imagination, cooperation, reading and math.  I have NO clue how the game is played.  They have made up all the rules themselves and it is very cool to eavesdrop while they play.  Mind you, I still don't get the object or rules but I do love hearing the discussions of what beats what and how many points remain.  I really love how enthusiastic Asher is and how loving and inclusive Aiden is when they play.
So as the boys "battled" our cute neighbor, Jared Green comes by.  He is 10ish years old, so of course, these younger boys are psyched to see him.  Well, it turns out Jared used to be into Pokeman cards and "has a ton of them he doesn't use anymore."  Off Jared goes to get his cards.  He comes back with a bunch of cards and the boys go wild!!!!  Jared is the total Rock Star as he divides up the cards equally among the 5 boys.  He also brought is old Pokeman binder that holds his cards.  The boys' eyes were as big as silver dollars.  Jared offered to sell it for "10 bucks."  Ade and Brock scattered to see if they had adequate funds.  I was smiling, knowing full well Ade was going to fall short.  
Well, next thing I know Ash is right in my face with the hugest grin (complete with red mustache) and this sparkle in his eyes.  It was the teeth clenched/eyes wide open excitement.  Ash. . ."MOM LOOK, LOOK!!!!!"  (He is holding the Pokeman binder) "AIDEN GOT THIS FOR ME!!" As he hugs the binder, "I never had a biner befoouur."  I looked back to see Aiden acting all nonchalant and "no big dealish."  He gives me this little 'awww shucks' wave of his hand and said, "Mom, Jared sold it to me for 3 bucks and Asher doesn't have his own binder, so I thought he should have one."  Then off he went to play with his buddies.  I could feel the dilation of vessels in my nose and eyes. . .must fight emotion and not embarrass kids.  I also had the fight the huge urge to go buy Aiden the entire stock of Star Wars/Indiana Jones toys and games.  you know, I thought that graduating from nursing school was gratifying.  But this sense of accomplishment blew that away.  I LOVE that Ade is learning empathy and generosity.  But I mostly LOVE the bond developing between these two.

Here is Jared helping Ash load the Pokeman cards in his new "biner."  Jared is such a sweet kid!  He was totaling entertaining those kids.

Check out the intensity on Asher's face as he loads his cards.

Here are my sweeties with their new goods!

And now the 'holy grail.'  The "biner" that almost made the mom cry!

8 comments:

Lori Ann said...

Aiden,
You are such a great big brother. Good job!

Miss Lori

Alysia Cook said...

sniff...sniff...you know I am a bit emotional anyway, I had no chance. How cute!!!

Highlights said...

that is an adorable priceless memory--so cute

Andreaspon said...

Love this story Christa! I am so glad I found your blog...it's about time! ;) I am loving all the photos, your kids are too dang cute and I can't believe how fast your baby is growing! Keep the posts coming!

Andrea

Tana said...

I must admit, I had a little tearage of my own, especially after hearing Ash ask where his biner was the last time I was at your house (I hadn't heard the story yet.) Also, great journaling, are you by chance a scrapbooker?

Chrissie said...

Christa!! Thank you SO MUCH for your comment on my blog. I know (for I am all knowing...well, and I have that doojiemaflip that tells me who's visiting in the world)...I know people read my blog all the time, and yet they rarely leave comments, so I'm always grateful when someone does! (Perhaps I'm a bit sad! LOL!)

I haven't had time (nor can I spare the time just at the moment) to read your blog...but I shall, cos I am nosy. But do stay in touch. Sugardoodle is the BEST isn't it? I steal ALL my best ideas from there.

Got to scoot, as I'm off to see Mamma Mia (for the 3rd time) tonight.

ALICIA said...

Hi Christa! What ever happened to dinner? We need to still get together. Your kids are growing so fast.

I am glad I found your blog! Very cute pictures.

Tell Quinn we say hello!

Alicia

Chrissie said...

Had the time to read now. Such a sweet story...awwwwww!!!! Those Pokemon cards...I can remember the kids in school all being crazy crazy over them.